Sunday, January 3, 2010

Escapism through cinema

I love going to the movies, I always have. Watching a movie on DVD either on TV or on the computer doesn't compare, but it'll do the trick if I movie is no longer in the theater or if its something I want to see again. Movies that rank high enough in my opinion for repeat watchings:

Elizabeth: Although I'm Irish and I know how persecuted the Irish were under England, I'm fascinated by the story of the Tudors, especially Elizabeth. Side note: I was very excited when Showtime announced that in advance of the fourth season of The Tudors, the soap opera cable version of the the reign of Henry VIII, they were re-running the previous three seasons starting tonight. Anyway, Elizabeth is one of my role models, and Cate Blanchett was marvelous in the role.
.
Amelie: I've always enjoyed the work of the director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and this is my favorite of his films. Set in Paris, Amelie is a quirky girl who lives a reticent life surrounded by people, and has never had much luck with boyfriends. The film captures Paris beautifully, and there is a range of interesting characters.

Pride and Prejudice (the BBC miniseries version): Don't bother with the Kiera Knightly version that changes the ending. I watch this whenever I'm depressed about men. I'm convinced that there is a Darcy out there. So are a lot of other women.

The Royal Tennenbaums: Wes Anderson is also one of my favorite directors, and when this one came out, it replaced Rushmore's place in my heart. Another film with a great ensemble of characters. What attracts me most to this film is Wes Anderson's attention to detail, from the music used in the film to the sets. This film also made me not mind Ben Stiller, who I usually can't stand.

Although these movies are all great pieces of art in their own right, I can watch these movies repeatedly because there is something about the characters that I identify with. I hope for Elizabeth's strength, and understand her reaction to Dudley's betrayal. I recognize Amelie's difficulty with opening up to people. I know Elizabeth Bennett's pride. I empathize with Richie when he learns that Margot is not who he thought she was, and he feels completely distraught. Although, not to worry, I wouldn't ever go as far as Richie.

2 comments: